Professor Mike Grocott
Professor Mike Grocott
- Professor of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Medicine, University of Southampton
Chair, Xtreme Everest Oxgen Research Consortium Leader, Caudwell Xtreme Everest (2007) and summited Everest May 23rd 2007 Leader, Xtreme Cho Oyu (2006) and summited Cho Oyu September 2006 Head, Centre for Human Integrative Physiology, University of Southampton
- 2015: Extreme Weather (Channel 5) - expert medical contributor
- 2015: Elements - Oxygen (BBC World Services) - expert medical contributor
Previous Media Experience
- Television: BBC News at Ten, BBC News 24, BBC Horizon, Channel 4 News, CNN, Sky News, BBC Breakfast Time, BBC South Today.
- Film: “Return to Everest” an IMAX format film currently in production with MacGillivray Freeman Films, scheduled for release in 2016.
- Radio: BBC Radio 4 Science Documentaries, BBC Radio 4 Today program, BBC Radio 4 PM program, BBC World Service, Voice of America, ABC, LBC, BBC Radio Scotland.
- Print: The Times, The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph, The Independent, The Economist, Nature, Science, New Scientist.
- Festivals: Cheltenham Science Festival (2006, 2009), Winchester Science Festival (2013)
- Coppel J, Hennis P, Gilbert-Kawai E, Grocott MP. The physiological effects of hypobaric hypoxia versus normobaric hypoxia: a systematic review of crossover trials. Extreme Physiology and Medicine 2015;26(4)
- Hennis PJ, O'Doherty AF, Levett DZ, Grocott MP, Montgomery HM. Genetic factors associated with exercise performance in atmospheric hypoxia. Sports Medicine 2015;45(5):745-61
- Wilson M, Davagnanam I, Holland G, Dattani RS, Hirani SP, Kolfschoten N, Strycharczuk L, Green C, Thornton JS, Wright W, Bradwell AR, Edsell M, Kitchen ND, Cameron J Holloway CJ, Clarke K, Grocott MP, Montgomery HM and Imray C on behalf of the Caudwell Xtreme Everest Group and the the Birmingham Medical research Expeditionary Society. The Cerebral Venous System and Anatomical Predisposition to High Altitude Headache. Annals of Neurology 2013;73(3):381-9
- Low EV, Avery AJ, Gupta V, Schedlbauer A, Grocott MP. Identifying the lowest effective dose of acetazolamide for the prophylaxis of acute mountain sickness at altitude: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2012;345:e6779
- Closed and open breathing circuit function in healthy volunteers during exercise at Mount Everest base camp (5300 m). McMorrow RC, Windsor JS, Hart ND, Richards P, Rodway GW, Ahuja VY, O'Dwyer MJ, Mythen MG, Grocott MP; Caudwell Xtreme Everest Research Group. Anaesthesia 2012;67(8):875-80
- McMorrow RC, Windsor JS, Mythen MG, Grocott MP; the Caudwell Xtreme Everest Research Group. A novel ambulatory closed circuit breathing system for use during exercise. Anaesthesia. 2011;66(5):348-353
- Holloway CJ, Montgomery HE, Murray AJ, Cochlin LE, Codreanu I, Hopwood N, Johnson AW, Rider OJ, Levett DZH, Tyler DJ, Francis JM, Neubauer S, Grocott MPW and Clarke K for the Caudwell Xtreme Everest Research Group. The Cardiac Response to Hypobaric Hypoxia: persistent changes to cardiac mass, function and energy metabolism after a trek to Mt Everest Base Camp. FASEB Journal 2011;25(2):792-6
- Edwards LM, Murray AJ, Tyler DJ, Kemp GJ, Holloway CJ, Robbins PA, Neubauer S, Levett, D, Montgomery H, Grocott MP, Clarke K for the Caudwell Xtreme Everest Research Group. The effect of high-altitude on human skeletal muscle energetics: 31P-MRS results from the Caudwell Xtreme Everest expedition. PLOS One 2010;5(5):e10681
- Hooper TJ, Levett DZ, Mellor AJ, Grocott MP. Resting and exercising cardiorespiratory variables and acute mountain sickness. Journal of the Royal Navy Medical Service. 2010;96(1):6-12.
- Windsor JS, Firth PG, Grocott MP, Rodway GW, Montgomery HE. Mountain mortality: a review of deaths that occur during recreational activities in the mountains. Postgraduate Medical Journal 2009;85(1004):316-321
- Windsor JS, Hamilton E, Grocott MP, O'Dwyer MJ, Milledge JS. The Snow Snorkel: a proof of concept study.Wilderness and Environmental Medicine 2009;20(1):61-5
- Thompson J, Raitt J, Hutchings L, Bjargo E, Loset A, Grocott M, Montgomery H, Caudwell Xtreme Everest Research Group. Angiotensin-converting enzyme genotype and successful ascent to extreme high altitude. High Altitude Medicine and Biology 2007;8:278-285
- Grocott MPW, Levett DZH. Everest 60 years on: what next? Extreme Physiology and Medicine 2013:2;20
- Grocott MP, Montgomery HM. Extreme Physiology and Medicine: a new journal focussed on integrative human physiology under stress. Extreme Physiology and Medicine. 2012:1;1
- Grocott MP. Human physiology in extreme environments: lessons from life at the limits? Postgraduate Medical Journal 2008;84:2-3
- Hennis PJ, Gilbert-Kawai E, Grocott MP. Isolated Generalized Tonic-Clonic Seizure at High Altitude in a Young Male Trekker with a Positive Family History of Seizure. High Altitude Medicine and Biology 2014;15(1):93-4
- Wilson MH, Levett DZ, Dhillon S, Mitchell K, Morgan J, Grocott MP, Imray C. Stroke at high altitude diagnosed in the field using portable ultrasound. Wilderness Environmental Medicine 2011;22(1):54-7
- MPW Grocott, S McCorkell, ML Cox. Successful resuscitation from major upper gastro-intestinal hemorrhage using rectally administered fluids in a wilderness environment: a case report. Wilderness and Environmental Medicine 2005;16(4):209-11
- Imray CHE, Grocott MPW, Wilson MH, Hughes A, Auerbach PS. Extreme, expedition and wilderness medicine. Lancet (in press)
- Khosravi M, Grocott MPW. Mountainside to bedside: reality or fiction? Expert Review of Respiratory Medicine. 2009;3(6):561-565
- Allen S, Moore J, Grocott MP. Expedition Medicine: Through Heat and Sleet. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2009;103(11):1081-4
- Windsor JS, Currie RJ, Grocott MP, Chiocconi R, Hillebrandt D. Health screening on Aconcagua. Wilderness and Environmental Medicine. 2009;20(1):90
- Rodway GW, Windsor JS, Grocott MP. A short walk with Milledge. High Altitude Medicine and Biology. 2008;9(4):335-9
- Grocott M, Montgomery H. Genetophysiology: Using Genetic Strategies to Explore Hypoxic Adaptation. High Altitude Medicine and Biology 2008;9:123-129
- Grocott MPW, Johannson L. Ketamine for emergency anaesthesia at very high altitude (4243 metres above sea-level). Anaesthesia 2007;62:959-962
- Grocott M, Richardson A, Montgomery H, Mythen M. Caudwell Xtreme Everest: a study of human adaptation to hypoxia. Critical Care 2007;11(4):151
- Grocott MPW, Montgomery H, Vercueil A. High Altitude Physiology and Pathophysiology: Implications and Relevance for Intensive Care Medicine. Critical Care 2007;11(1):203 BioMed Central “Highly Accessed”